Saturday, July 31, 2010

A New World- Songs for a New World

“A new world calls across the ocean… a new world waits for my reply… a new world, louder every moment… time to fly- time to fly”

A wave of loneliness washed over me as I spent my first Friday night in a foreign country alone. I gave myself little wiggle room in the expectancy to make new friends and start my adventures. I was upset I didn’t have 17 new friends who wanted to go out with me, regardless of the fact that it was my second day in this new world. And a new world it is!

After wallowing in self-pity for a night, I woke up early Saturday and decided to explore a little on my own. The area around campus is bustling with activity on the main drag “Glenferrie Street”. Shop after little shop, boutiques, countless numbers of coffee stops and pastry kitchens. Too many bakeries to count! And so many people… just swerving in and out of each other in a beautiful waltz. I was very proud of my awareness and assimilation as I remembered to walk on the left side of the sidewalk when passing others. I took myself down side streets and through the suburbs that surround campus. Every house has some sort of intricate detail in the architecture- I can’t help but stare (an obvious tourist). Almost every home has a gated fence to walk through, a faux sense of privacy- seeing as the houses are literally spaced a mere few feet apart. Fruit trees hang over the sidewalk and the crows (which sound much different from the crows back home) squawk, annoyed with my presence. I walked for almost two hours- and managed not to get lost (another feat I hold pride in). Just a simple act of exploring opened my eyes up to the world of which I am now a part.

Saturday night was another night of firsts. I bought alcohol for the first time- and didn’t even get carded! I was so nervous I forced my fabulous roommate to accompany me- she laughed at my butterflies, but was sympathetic and patient. I went over to a friend’s apartment where a bunch of international students were. I met a number of new faces- and by the time we headed to the pub (at the early hour of 9pm!) we had a crew of about 20- most international, but a few Aussie tour guides we had recruited. We had a great time at The Hawthorn—three girls and I decided to play pool (of which none of us can do very well) and they had a live band along with a DJ and dance floor. Too bad we started so early- two of the girls and I headed home around 11pm—apparently we need to work on keeping up with the Aussies!

Today (Sunday) was a glorious day of exploring downtown Melbourne. With my roommate as my tour guide, we jumped on the train and headed into the city. She showed me an adorable side street filled with cafes on either side- and down the middle rows of umbrella covered tables to sit, people watch, and drink coffee. And what I’ve forgotten to mention is how absolutely stunning the city truly is. Just stepping out from the train station, the architecture and diversity is overwhelming. Immense churches loom over you as you walk on the sidewalk, like a protective shield- and yet then you turn a corner and are the midst of a gigantic shopping center. It’s utterly incredible.

Millie and I walked through Federation Square to investigate the Tim Burton exhibit that is being shown. The art and artifacts in the exhibition were simply breathtaking—there was so much information about his life, his history, his art, and his mind. Millie and I have decided we need to have a Tim Burton movie marathon very soon.

Another thing that is crazy in this “new world” is the weather! Raining buckets (or as Millie says… “pissing rain”) this morning, opening up to a blue sky and shining sun, a mid-city exploration drizzle, and hail by the time we got back to Hawthorn (the suburb in which I am living).

I’m getting the hang of things, even if it is a slow process. I have yet to take a single picture (whoops), but I know I will soon! I have the start of orientation tomorrow, so that will certainly be an experience and hopefully I will meet more people and get to know the campus, the city, and the Australian atmosphere a little bit better day by day.

No comments:

Post a Comment