Thursday, July 29, 2010

Leaving on a Jet Plane- John Denver

This is all too surreal. Here I am, seated next to a friendly elderly couple on my way to LAX. I have named them Maude and Clifford and I’ve taken a liking to them. It might be Clifford’s adorable lisp, or Maude’s faux-leather with faded cheetah print jacket, but whatever it is, I get the loving grandparent vibe from them and feel a little less alone. The couple is on their way home from a 2 week cruise which ended in Amsterdam- they have also been to Australia and New Zealand. They spent 32 days in that area of the world and loved every minute. They also have 4 grandkids in college in California and an additional aspiring division 3 baseball player (current senior in high school) who is very bright. A talkative pair, but friendly and adorably in love.

The airline has decided to play “Diary of a Wimpy Kid”, which leaves a lot to be desired. But, its more attractive than my other options- staring out the window at clouds or listening to one of seven basic radio stations with the cliché options of pop, rock, country, techno, and oh la Latina! (I think that last one is my first choice).

Welp, here’s to a quick, easy flight and a similar five-hour layover in Los Angeles. I’m going to keep my fingers crossed I’ll be allowed into the Red Carpet Club, even without my Dad’s company.

If only the lady in front of me would move her seat up an inch and the weird smell that just wafted into my area would please dissipate… Oh well, no pain no gain!

No comments:

Post a Comment